Note the call for vignettes in this edition of the CANeLearn newsletter.
May 2015 Edition – online web version http://canelearn.net/mod/page/view.php?id=203Greetings all. This message is being sent to all members and those who signed up for the he Canadian eLearning Network (CANeLearn) newsletter. Please forward this email as appropriate as this week’s webinar in our CANeLearn members series is again open to everyone.Click here to sign up for our monthly newsletter (Google Form)May 2015 Highlights (scroll down or click for additional details)
- Webinar: Thursday, May 21 from 3-4:00 pm Eastern
- How do we shift to competency-based assessment?
- Presenters: Kerry Cule & Dianne Conrod, LEARN
- Login: http://tinyurl.com/canelearn
- Toward Flexible Learning Solutions in Canada: A Symposium for K-12 Blended and Online Learning Leaders – July 8 & 9, 2015 (Halifax)
- blendED Alberta Symposium (Oct. 25-27 Edmonton)
- Registrations open soon! http://www.blendedalberta.ca/
- EdTech Open Workshops: New series underway this week
- Call for vignettes for State of the Nation: K-12 Blended and Online Learning in Canada
- email info@CANeLearn.net
How do we shift to competency-based assessment?
Thursday, May 21st – Time: 3:00 pm Eastern
Presenters: Kerry Cule and Dianne Conrod, LEARN
“The Québec Education Program is characterized essentially by its competency-based approach and its focus on the learning process. Knowledges are organized in terms of competencies to make learning meaningful and open-ended for students.”
Quebec Education Program, 2001 Quebec’s education reform has required a major shift for many teachers, not only in how they teach, but also in the ways in which they assess and evaluate the development of their students’ learning. LEARN’s principal for online learning, Dianne Conrod, and LEARN science teacher and consultant, Kerry Cule, will share their experience with competency-based learning, and its assessment and evaluation, with details from the Quebec Education Program and examples from LEARN’s online learning program.
Please share your experiences and questions throughout the session!
Kerry Cule – Kerry has a background in engineering and made the transition to teaching in 2007. At LEARN, she currently has two roles: online science teacher and secondary science consultant.
Dianne Conrod – Dianne loved teaching middle school students for several years before moving into elementary school leadership. She transitioned into online learning in 2002 and has been with LEARN since its inception. Dianne is principal for LEARN’s online courses and SOS LEARN (online tutoring and homework help).
Toward Flexible Learning Solutions in Canada: A Symposium for K-12 Blended and Online Learning Leaders
July 8 & 9, 2015
Halifax Regional School Board Offices 33 Spectacle Lake Drive, Dartmouth, NS B3B 1X7
The July 8th & 9th CANeLearn Summer Summit features:
- Dr. Randy LaBonte, CEO, Canadian eLearning Network (CANeLearn), and adjunct professor Vancouver Island University
- Dr. Michael K Barbour, Director of Doctoral Studies, Isabelle Farrington College of Education, and Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership Sacred Heart University
- Verena Roberts, Researcher, Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium & Teacher, Palliser Beyond Borders School
- Sue Taylor-Foley, Acting Executive Director Education Innovation, Programs and Services, Nova Scotia Department of Education
- Leadership Panel from across Canada
- Open dialogue and group discussion on emerging trends in K-12 blended and online learning
- Planned networking opportunities throughout the event…
Registration is free but limited. Click here to register (required). Deadline to register is June 30!
blendED 2015: Alberta’s Blended and Online Symposium
October 25–27, 2015 West Edmonton
- Call for proposals launched
- Registration opening soon
- More info at http://www.blendedalberta.ca/
EdTech Open Workshops
May 15-29, 2015 Online
- Mastering your Moodle – Taming the Beast
Other sessions upcoming
- More info at http://edtechopen.com/
Call for vignettes for State of the Nation: K-12 Blended and Online Learning in Canada
- The Canadian eLearning Network is compiling data on blended and online learning programs across Canada
- If you have a story or unique program you would like to profile (like the Navigate program featured above), email us at firstname.lastname@example.org