Note the items in the Canadian eLearning Network’s newsletter related to the “Call for Individual Program Data” and the “New Website for the State of the Nation: K-12 E-Learning in Canada Project.”
Canadian eLearning Network
October 13, 2016
Click here to see this newsletter online (Bookmark to come back to read later)
Please forward this news on your own networks
Welcome to the October CANeLearn news. This issue provides information about the April 5-7 CANeLearn Symposium and DL Conference, upcoming CANeLearn Live! online PD session, other events and call for research data. Explore some great resources and bookmark some interesting reading material as well. Scroll down to read on!
2017 CANeLearn Symposium (& BC DL Conference): April 5-7, Vancouver BC
- Opening Keynote: Michael Furdyk
- Closing Keynote: Remi Kalir
- Featured Speakers from across Canada
- Call for proposals due by October 31
- Early bird registration closes October 31!
CANeLearn Live! (online PD): Wednesday, October 19 at 1:00 pm Eastern
- Join us for a live discussion about professional learning for educators
- Topics include Online PD & courses, Online professional communities & social media, Team learning, Mentoring & coaching, MOOCs, Workshops/Conferences, and COTS (commercial courses & programs)
- Featuring LEARN’s PD approach and CANeLearn initiatives
- Login to Zoom Wednesday: https://zoom.us/j/8614756834
blendED 2016: October 23-25, Edmonton AB
- Keynotes George Siemens & Shelley Wright
- Register at http://www.blendedalberta.ca/
iiE Gathering: November 4-6, VIU, Nanaimo BC
- Knowledge, Creativity, and Learning from Multiple Perspectives: Bringing together people and ideas across disciplinary, institutional, and professional boundaries
- Special emphasis on design thinking for teaching and learning
- See http://iie.institute/2016-
7th Annual Global Education Conference
- The Global Education Conference will take place around the clock during International Education Week (November 13-16, 2016) featuring thought leaders from the world of education and beyond. The Global Education Conference is completely free to attend and all events take place online in webinar format.
- Join 23,000 GEC community members from 170+ countries and actively participate in more than 200 sessions. Put in your own proposal! Deadline November 1.
- Use #CANeLearn to stream specific items of interest to members. Join the conversation!
- Join CANeLearn – only $50 for associate membership! – information athttp://canelearn.net/
Call for Research Data
Call for Individual Program Data
- In association with the Canadian eLearning Network, the State of the Nation: K-12 e-Learning in Canada (see https://k12sotn.ca/
) research team is seeking involvement from individual K-12 distance, online and blended learning programs to assist us with the research for the annual report by completing the online individual program survey (11 questions about individual program offerings for the 2015-16 school year). The information provided will be used to augment information collected from provincial Ministries of Education.
- We thank you in advance for your participation.
State of the Nation: K-12 E-Learning in Canada Has a New Website
- As a part of its organizational website redesign, CANeLearn has worked with the State of the Nation: K-12 E-Learning in Canada research team to create a new website for this research project at: https://k12sotn.ca/
- The shift of this research project from the main CANeLearn website will enable the organization to highlight emerging research on its main website.
- Shifting the State of the Nation: K-12 E-Learning in Canada research to its own site enables simpler navigation and searching on the CANeLearn main site, and of the comprehensive set of dynamic documentation of online and blended learning in Canada on the new site.
In the news…
CANeLearn Member wins CEA’s Canadian Innovators Award
- 2016 Canadian Innovators in Education Award Winners: A Clean Sweep for B.C. School DistrictsGreat things are happening in B.C. public education. The Canadian Education Association (CEA) and Reader’s Digest Canada are pleased to recognize the following three school districts with awards for promoting lasting, system-wide change for K-12 students:
- Read more here: http://www.cea-ace.ca/awards/
- CANeLearn announced a partnership with CanCred.ca, a new Canadian cloud service for awarding and sharing Open Badge eCredentials, also known as micro-credentials.
- CanCred.ca will be a key part of the CANeLearn micro-credential professional learning program – Watch for updates soon!
- Check out Don Presant’s LinkedIn post on emerging phenomena, including ePortfolio.
New Members Site
- members.canelearn.net is a new Google site (still in building stage) open to members
- The site will house member info, board info, and other shared documents from the CANeLearn Google Drive
- Sharing options within Google will allow us to manage public, member, and board only content
- Feedback on the site is welcome – email info@CANeLearn.net
From Contact North
Teaching in a Digital Age Webinars
- Due to the overwhelming demand in 2015 – 2016, Contact North | Contact Nord is offering a second instalment of the five webinars focused on the Teaching in a Digital Age textbook by its Research Associate, Dr. Tony Bates
- More info here: http://teachonline.ca/
Worth a look…
Online Learning Research: Say Goodbye to the Wild West
- Neela Bell has compiled a short list of trends and best practices for online programs.
- Click here to check it out
Learning in the Digital Age
- Conference Board of Canada’s e-learning compilation:
- E-learning holds the potential to profoundly change the way post-secondary education (PSE) is designed and delivered.
- From a quality perspective, e-learning may be more engaging, less passive, and more customized to different learning styles than traditional lecture-based learning.
- There are about 1.3 million enrolments in fully online university and college courses in Canada. E-learning accounts for between 10 and 15 per cent of PSE learning.
- Greater adoption of e-learning will happen if institutional focus on traditional classroom delivery can be reduced; faculty are adequately supported when they teach online; and e-learning design, development, and delivery practices improve.
- More information here: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/
e-library/abstract.aspx?did= 8197Requires creation of a free account
Student-Centered Educational Software
- Post from Michael Feldstein describing three factors influencing student completion of degrees (or courses for K-12):
- Sense of self-efficacy
- Sense of belonging
- Perceived value of the curriculum
- Read more here
An Inside Peek Into the Education World’s Obsession with Minecraft
- From EdSurge News – check it out here
A Master List of 1,200 Free Courses From Top Universities
- 40,000 Hours of Audio/Video Lectures
- Check it out here
Is this email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser